Thursday, February 17, 2011

Opening Statement

Well, I feel as though I should have started this last September, but better late than never, right? Seems to be my general trend in life. Better late than never.

I transferred to Wright State in September of last year. I am currently in the 7th week of classes of my 2nd quarter as an Arts major. I am working on my B.F.A. concentration in photography and planning on graduating next March (God willing). I am a non-traditional student, going to school when I can find money. I have essentially spent 6 years in college, though I haven't put in 6 years of classes. I am by far ready to graduate and start an actual career.

My first degree program was zoology. I have been geared towards zoology since I was in the 6th grade. Everything I have done has been to prepare me for a career as a scientist. While things like music and photography interested me in high school, I never really thought I could make a living with them. I pushed everything to the back burner to focus on zoology. This is what carried me to Ohio after high school.

I tell you this so that you can understand where I'm coming from and how I think. I approach things first and foremost like a scientist. This makes things very interesting for me as an art student now. For example, when learning new techniques in printmaking, I didn't ask "What can I make with this process?", I asked, "What chemical reactions allow this process to be possible?!". Agreed, this is quirky and unusual, but I feel in a way it makes me a stronger artist. Unusual is the name of the game, right?

So I started this blog to chronicle my times, and my struggles, as an art student. Hopefully I'll be diligent and post daily. You should keep on me about that.

2 comments:

  1. Good start - trying to outline the whole thing would be way too confusing ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. ...and don't forget to post pictures...photo major...kinda just makes sense...:D One of YOU would be nice. ;)

    ReplyDelete