Thursday, February 24, 2011

Weekend!

Miracles do happen!  Today at the Air Force Museum, using charcoal, I managed to keep all of it on the paper and not on me!  This has never happened before.  I can barely walk into the drawing studio on a graphite day and not get charcoal all over my face.  But in broad indoor lighting and public atmosphere I kept all of my charcoal to three fingers, all of them being used in the drawing process.  I am so totally excited!

Ok, so back to some semblance of professionalism.  I picked a spot in the Cold War Gallery as it tends to have a special place for my family.  We normally spend a lot of time in that gallery anyway so I figured since I knew it so well I could get right to work.  I chose a spot up on the overlook for a good vantage point.  Lately I've been an extreme rebel and have been breaking the rules of art a lot.  Well, there aren't really rules, but as a student I'm not supposed to center my subject in the middle of my paper.  Not in drawing, not in photo, not in any composition.  They say that once I've graduated I'll understand why we don't do this and how to use it effectively, but not until then.  While I think they are very right about all of these reasons, I have had a compulsion that I can't resist.  Its come out in nearly every class.  Today, I centered a giant plane right in the middle of my paper, splitting it directly in half.  I'm in love with it, and technically it won't always be in the center as this will be a 2 panel drawing.  She seemed to be ok with it.  I'm working on a new technique using compressed charcoal, a medium I've always had difficulty using.  Now I actually know what I'm doing and the end result is turning out quite nicely.  Granted, it looks better from far away, but the point is the texture, not the details.  That's something I've always had difficulty letting go of.

So thus ends my week and begins my weekend.  As I said earlier I'm taking the weekend off and not going to school.  Probably won't post again til Monday.  Yay weekend!

1 comment:

  1. Can't wait to see the actual drawing! The little phone pic looks awesome :)

    ReplyDelete