Thursday, April 28, 2011

Art History Midterm

If you haven't figured it out, I tend to complain.  It burdens me, and venting helps me cope in a more healthy way.  At least that's how I feel, but then again I'm not the one being vented to, so I really don't know.

I have an art history midterm this afternoon.  Its actually in about 3 hours.  This final lasts 2 hours and contains roughly 10 slides of major artwork to identify, compare/contrast, whatever.  I just finished making myself a study guide.  The guide itself was 13 pages.  While this does contain the artwork involved, thats still roughly 40 works to learn.  That means the title of the piece, the artist, the medium used, the date it was produced and the movement it belongs to.  Please tell me why she narrowed our study selection down to 40 when all she's going to quiz us on is 10?  I have other classes.  I hope to have a life (clearly don't have one now, I have been studying).  I have friends and a boyfriend and 2 different jobs as well as all my other homework and heaven forbid a little free time.  This is a midterm.  Its not even the final!  I'd kind of understand for the final.  But here's the kicker: for the actual final in her classes she tells you exactly which pieces she's going to test you on.  Learn all of them and you'll be quizzed on all of them.  How is it that the final is easier and more straight forward than the midterm?  It just doesn't make sense to me.

That being said, I need to go back to studying because I have 5 different art movements to memorize and keep straight.  BTW, memorizing dates does not sit well with my brain structure.  I personally feel that if the movement lasts a certain time frame and doesn't deviate from that time frame, and I can identify the movement but not the date...shouldn't that still be peachy keen?  I get the whole "this work influenced this work within the movement because it came first" thing.  Doesn't mean I'm great at remembering it for a test.

Lame.

No comments:

Post a Comment