Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Spring Quarter

Sorry!  I completely fail at life and I admit that.  I haven't posted and I've been back from spring break for nearly 2 weeks.  I also didn't post about the photo field trip I went on to the zoo or the drawings that I attempted.  On that particular note, drawing things that move is a new challenge for me.

So its the second week of the quarter.  Haven't really gotten into the assignments yet.  This is the part of the quarter where things are still pretty slow.  I can watch TV at night and still not feel guilty about it.  My digital photography class has been overwhelming me with techno speak that I barely understand.  It's going to be a challenge taking pictures for that class.  Besides the added volume of pictures I'm not used to (pixels are cheap, right?) there's the added fuss of calculating for computer error whenever I take a picture.  So instead of just worrying about my aperture and shutter speed, I have to worry about how my camera is going to interpret about 20 different things besides aperture and shutter speed.  Its a new element that will definitely take some getting used to.  The shooting in color thing is different as well.  I'm used to setting up a composition and completely disregarding the color because it would be turned to grey scale anyway.  I'm very glad that I took intro to color last quarter.  Diane's class will definitely help me in this class.  Even though I complain, I'm still very much looking forward to it.  I'll finally be able to use a digital camera like a pro, not just hoping for the best.  Also, Ben will turn me into a Photoshop pro by the end, I'm certain of that.

Intermediate B/W photo is going to be challenging to say the least.  We will be shooting with a large format camera.  My instructor said that taking a single shot with this camera takes about 20 minutes, and she was not joking at all.  I'm seriously debating buying an external light meter because trying to use my digital camera is slightly difficult.  It requires a lot of mental math that quite frankly I don't trust myself to do.  We took 2 experimental shots on Monday and I'm going to develop them in about 15 minutes, so we'll see exactly how much work I'll be needing to do this quarter.  I already have a lot of ideas for projects though, so I'm hoping Tracy will go along with them.  My partner unfortunately dropped the class, but that does mean that I'm the only person in the class with their own camera, so I have the freedom to do just about any project I need to without restriction of time.  I have a feeling I'll be doing a lot of shots down by the gorge out in yellow springs.  Thank God the weather is finally improving.  Its about time Ohio!

Those are my only 2 studio classes this quarter.  I feel pretty good about that.  I am still taking 5 classes, though, so that leaves me with 3 art history classes.  My professor is extremely understanding and letting me take one without all the required pre-reqs so that I can still attempt to graduate on time.  It's going to take a little bit of added effort, but I'm willing to do the leg work.  I am a little behind in my reading for her 2 classes though because I was waiting on my books to arrive.  I will still wait and order my books the first week of class if it will save me heartache and money, though, so I'm definitely not complaining.  My job just quieted down a lot so I'll have time on the weekends to get caught up.  My third history class is a survey of museums.  It only meets once a week on Fridays which was a bummer until I found out we only meet the first 5 weeks, then go on 3 museum field trips and we're done.  There's also no quizzes or exams!  Just written homework and a term paper.  I love taking upper level classes!!!

So while this was a brief introduction to my new and amazing quarter, hopefully that will keep you from getting confused when I actually start being responsible about posting regularly.  I definitely have more time, I need to use it to fulfill my own commitments, right?

P.S. thank you mevins for reminding me I have a blog and should post ;-)

1 comment:

  1. Yes, thank you Mevins ;)
    Thoughts on techno speak: wouldn't it be nice if we had those universal translators from Star Trek tuned to that frequency??? Everybody I work with thinks I'm a techno genius, but I get lost in it, too :P

    ReplyDelete