Friday, April 15, 2011

End of Week 3

Negative Nancy got tired and went back to sleep, sorry for the pessimism.  This week wasn't that bad.  Humbling, yes, but not bad.  I didn't do as well as I'd hoped on my first digital photo critique.  I haven't gotten a grade back yet, so I also don't know how poorly I did.  He also seems like a professor who isn't very fond of positive feedback, so maybe I didn't tank it too badly.  I fulfilled the requirements except for one (I definitely misunderstood what he was looking for).  We'll have to see.

I developed my film for my first 4x5 shooting assignment.  I think they turned out pretty good.  Two of them were slightly overexposed, but I had troubles with my light meter.  It doesn't have a setting for 125 speed film, which I'm shooting at.  So there's an element of guestimating going on that didn't work in my favor every time.  Oh well.  We are now printing a technical comparison between RC and FB paper.  I've never printed on fiber based paper before so I'm kind of excited.  My RC print turned out pretty good.  If it wasn't for simple comparison I'd have to do a lot more adjustments with burning and dodging, but seeing how that isn't the purpose of the assignment I'm not going to waste expensive paper yet.  I'll save that for later in the quarter.

My history classes are going well.  Other than me being really busy this past week, things have gone decent.  I can't complain.  I am still waiting to hear back about my financial aid package to see if I can afford to take summer classes.  There are 2 studio classes I could get out of the way that would tremendously help my efforts to graduate sooner and not die of an aneurysm at the same time.  I'm also submitting my application and deposit for the 2 week study abroad program for this December today (would have already had it turned in except the office was unexpectedly closed until my class starts, poo) so that's one other thing to get going.  I have half of my fees saved already.  I need the other half by October, and any spending money for souvenirs and trips (or festive beverages) by the time I leave in December.  That means my torrent of prayers began yesterday when I officially made the final decision to do this (the deposit is non refundable).  I'll keep you posted on developments to that end.

This weekend I'll be working on my portraiture assignment for digital class, probably spending a lot of time at the WGI finals lot.  Its the best place I know to take pictures of people in their natural environment.  Percussionists at WGI finals.  Its like indoor band Mecca, we all flock to it once a year without fail.  Now I live down the street from it, so there's not even guilt in going.  I'm pretty excited about that.  I also need to come back to the photo lab over the weekend to develop my contact sheets because I cleaned out my car and forgot my negatives when I drove to class today, like a dope.  Like I said, this week has been humbling in very small but effective ways.

So here's to a better more productive weekend!

2 comments:

  1. ...and then you'll post some of the pics you promised? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Figure this prof out, Tigger - get a jump on it ;) Ask classmates to verify what they think he's after is the same thing you think he's after. Is he one of those "inside the box" guys? *HUG*

    ReplyDelete